Natural Solutions for COPD and Lung Health
- Have you recently been diagnosed with COPD or do you suffer from fatigue, shortness of breath, and cough?
- Are you on oxygen therapy?
- Is your quality of life limited or your breathing getting progressively worse?
- Has a lung transplant been suggested as a treatment option?
We specialize in improving lung function and COPD
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is used to describe a variety of conditions, such as Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, Pulmonary Fibrosis, and Sarcoidosis. These conditions involve inflammation or damage to the lungs that limit their ability to supply the body with oxygen. Usually these conditions are progressive, meaning that they get worse over time. According to the American Lung Association, approximately 14 million Americans have been diagnosed with COPD, but millions more may have the disease without knowing it.
COPD, is a common condition here in Orlando, and in Florida in general, affecting about 1 in 10 Floridians. Chronic inflammatory lung disease may be the result of smoking, exposure to toxins, chronic bronchitis, or other causes. The experienced practitioners at Orlando Acupuncture specialize in reversing the progression of COPD symptoms using research based, time tested methods of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Our Treatments focus on the following:
- Nourishing the lungs and promoting new lung tissue growth by enhancing alveoli (air sack) and bronchi (airflow tube) regeneration and reducing damage to elastin.
- Resolving scar tissue in the lungs by increasing specific processes that break down and replace scar tissue with healthy lung tissue.
- Increasing circulation to break up and expel mucus and decrease inflammation in the bronchial tubes.
Our treatment protocols can help most patients reduce symptoms within 30 days. We have also found lasting improvements in degenerative COPD conditions with lasting improvements such as:
- Reduced shortness of breath, and improved energy.
- Reduced oxygen dependence
- Reduced coughing with less phlegm
Patients are encouraged to continue to see their pulmonologist, and to have a lung function testing or chest X-rays done to confirm the improvement of their lung condition during, and upon finishing their treatment. Chinese Medicine can be, and often is used along with conventional therapy. We always recommend that you continue all prescription medications as prescribed.
Schedule a Consultation
How we treat COPD:
Medical history is done to asses co-factors or other conditions that may contribute to COPD symptoms and affect treatment
Physical Exam & Lung Function Assessment
- Clinical exam of Chest and lungs
- Pulse Oxymetry
- Walk test
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel is done to evaluate systemic health
- Review of existing lab work by our medical staff is also available
- Acupuncture has been shown to improve symptoms of COPD.
- We use distal Acupuncture so the treatments are painless and easy.
- Gasotransmitters are neurotransmitters in the form of a gas. These substances, like Nitrous Oxide, are important for inflammation and immune response.
- This therapy involves simple breathing exercises, and can be done at home.
Professional Herbal Therapy
- We prescribe herbal supplements that are an exceptionally high grade, and usually not available in the West.
- Our Herbs are designed to work together with your existing prescription medications.
How is COPD Diagnosed and Monitored
COPD is diagnosed with spirometry and pulse oximetry testing. Spirometry is a very easy breathing test where the patient blows into a tube. The spirometer measures the volume of air moved by the lungs.
Pulse oximetry testing is a noninvasive method for measuring the amount of oxygen in the blood.
A 6 minute walk test is another assessment used with COPD patients to determine a baseline measurement of stamina.
How is COPD commonly treated
Conventional treatment for COPD typically includes prescription inhaled or oral medications. It may also include Oxygen therapy, or a lung transplant. Unfortunately, these interventions provide only symptomatic treatment. That means that although they reduce the symptoms of COPD the disease continues to progress, or worsen, over time. Unlike Chinese herbal therapy, none of these medications address the root cause(s) of COPD.
There are four stages of COPD which are defined by the amount or volume of air a person breathes out in the first second of forced exhalation.
In Stage I, COPD is considered mild and a person may not be aware that lung function is beginning to decline.
In Stage II, considered moderate, you may notice shortness of breath during/after physical exertion as symptoms outlined above progress.
In Stage III, considered severe COPD, exacerbations are common and shortness of breath continues to worsen. Exacerbations are flare-ups characterized by tightness in the chest and extreme shortness of breath; in some cases it may be necessary to use a bronchodilator inhaler or other fast-acting treatment.
In Stage IV, considered extremely severe, exacerbations may be life-threatening and your quality of life may suffer greatly.
A 2017 study from the New England Journal of Medicine stresses the importance of early treatment of COPD. This research found that, over time, those living with even stage 1 COPD who were treated early had better outcomes than those who delayed treatment.
How Acupuncture Benefits COPD Patients
Acupuncture can benefit patients in any stage of COPD. Several studies, including double blind placebo-controlled studies, have been published in journals including the Lancet, and the Archives of Internal Medicine. The research shows improvement in symptoms for patients with COPD who receive acupuncture therapy. Possible methods of action include bronchodilation, smooth muscle relaxation, and increased microcirculation.
Besides the direct effects on lung function, acupuncture has been shown to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. This allows for more relaxed and better breathing patterns. Acupuncture also promotes a greater sense of overall well-being, a vital part of long-term healing.
How Chinese Herbs Benefit COPD Patients
Chinese Herbal medicine has been found to have good effects for reducing the severity of the symptoms of COPD. Studies have shown specific pharmacologic effects including anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating effects of Chinese herbal therapy.
Chinese herbs have a very strong safety record and are generally considered to be well tolerated and have far fewer side effects than conventional pharmacological interventions.
We invite those in the Orlando area to learn more about acupuncture and how it can help you cope with COPD by contacting our compassionate team of practitioners today at 407-673-6700.